Mold Allergies and Reactions

//Mold Allergies and Reactions

Mold Allergies and Reactions

Some people are allergic to molds, often because of prolonged or repeated exposure to molds and their spores. However, many people are actually not bothered by the mold itself. They are affected by the things that molds produce to feed or protect themselves.

Molds don’t “eat” the way you and I do—by consuming something and digesting it once it is inside them. Molds release chemicals that break down the thing they are growing on. Once it is broken down they are able to consume it.

Sometimes the chemicals they release are harmful to us. And, sometimes those chemicals react with chemicals in things in your home that are turned into harmful toxins. With so many different types of mold and the thousands of chemicals in our homes that they can react with it is not surprising that mold can produce a wide range of symptoms.

Fact: The chemicals molds produce to break things down sometimes produce gases that result in a “mold” smell.

The rule of thumb is that if you can smell mold you have it, but if you don’t smell mold, it may just not be
producing a smell at that time.

Microscopic Biological Warfare

Although they look similar there are several colonies of different molds. They are kept separate from each other by the toxins they produce to defend themselves from other molds and bacteria. Some of these toxins can be harmful to humans.

Some molds have trouble growing and are easily overcome by other types of mold and bacteria — similar to what happens when grass is invaded by weeds. To protect themselves, these molds produce toxins that are designed to kill other things. A good example of this is penicillin, that is produced by a mold called Penicillium. Penicillin kills bacteria but not people, so we use it as a medicine. Often these toxins can be quite harmful to us — they are after all poisons mold creates to protect itself.

Fact: Many household molds are black in color however, “black mold” refers to a rare type of mold called Stachybotris that has an extremely hard time growing, so it produces one of the deadliest organic compounds on earth. It’s toxin has even been used to kill solders in wars.

Mold is a plant and just as some people are allergic to a specific type of plant, some people are allergic to mold, often because of repeated or prolonged exposure to mold and it’s spores.Also, many people react to the chemicals molds produce to breakdown the thing they are growing on.

But all of use are affected by the toxins molds produce to defend themselves. These can cause allergies and health problems for you and your pets.

Fact: Even when you kill the mold it can still leave behind toxins that it has produced while alive.

By |2019-01-09T17:05:31+00:00December 27th, 2018|Health|0 Comments

Leave A Comment